Skip navigation

There was work to do in our engine room. Not much work, but required nonetheless.

In our engine room there are three major pieces of equipment. There is the engine, the genset, and the refrigeration. The work to be done was pretty straightforward. All of the equipment hoses, in all three areas, needed to be removed, inspected, and then either repaired or replaced. The engine muffler needed to be replaced. The throttle cable needed to be replaced. And, additional engine room soundproofing needed to be added.

As mentioned in an earlier post, all of this work falls under the category of maintenance…even major maintenance.

Initially, because of the time involved, we’d decided to contract this work out and had a couple of firms come out and look at things. But, typically, unless we were willing to write them blank checks they weren’t interested in the job. Choking on the time factor, we decided to take on the generator and engine ourselves. The refrigeration unit is being refurbished by our next door neighbor, an HVAC tech.

For the record, we have a Perkins 4-236 diesel engine and a Kohler 8kw genset. The task at hand was straightforward, we were going to remove all of the hoses and inspect/replace/repair them…on both the engine and genset. All three heat exchangers on both the engine and genset had already been removed and serviced. The muffler had to be replaced. All wiring was to be inspected, etc. A few other ancillary items also needed to be addressed, i.e., sea chest, sump.

There really was not that much to do. The issue – and isn’t there just always an issue – was the space we had to work in. To say it was cramped was understatement. To replace the muffler, the genset had to be completely removed (we’d have had to remove it anyhow to inspect and service as we wanted). The same went for the refrigeration unit.



Now, the refrigeration unit turned out to be relatively easy to remove…we slid it out over a couple of boards. The total time to remove from the boat and place on the dock was maybe an hour or so, tops. Removing the genset was an entirely different proposition.

The genset was estimated at 500 pounds or so, twelve to fourteen inches wide, maybe just a bit higher, and two to two and a half feet long. Imagine a medium size foot stool or ottoman…a stool so heavy one can’t even pick up one end. But, then try to imagine lifting it up about three inches, turning it catawampus…and sliding it fractions of an inch at a time, out of its engine room space onto a wooden pallet…and, only then, slide it down our passageway to the main salon. It took my husband the better part of three full days just to disconnect the generator and move it that 15 feet or so. Believe me when I tell you that we made great use of our college physics as we improvised inclined planes, levers, and jockeyed for mechanical advantage getting the genset in and out of its engine room compartment. Even using what we learned getting the genset out, it still took us almost eight hours to get it back in.

The girl, here, was quite pleased to have finally gotten the genset out of the middle of the main salon. We couldn’t even go to the boat and have a drink with the genset where it was.


Yesterday, we brought some of the seat cushions back down to the boat in anticipation of a girlfriend of mine coming for a day or so; having the cushion covers dry cleaned really helped out. We also brought the engine room doors I’d refinished back down to the boat…and a refinished fold out table. The salon table has been refinished…but hasn’t been reinstalled yet…pending the installation of a flat screened television.


It takes time…




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: